Thursday, January 22, 2009

Knowledge Management ……….. Simplified




I was talking to my colleagues the other day and were discussing about the clients we worked so far. In the midst of the discussion I realized that I do not remember some of the patterns I used, the tweaks I made to the code and I had to go back to my documentation that I had with me over the years.

My friend was talking about the issues he was having finding the relevant information he was looking for on the intranet.

My other friend told about his experience as to how much he missed the guidance of a guy who worked for the company for a very long time and had left the company.

The solution is possible if the business treats the knowledge component of business activities as an explicit concern of business reflected in strategy, policy, and practice at all levels of the organization

Requirements of a good KM.

· Workspaces for teams to coordinate schedules, organize documents, and participate in discussions within the organization on the intranet.
· Easily manage documents and ensure their integrity:
o require document checkout before editing
o view and post revisions and restore previous versions
o set document-specific security
o storage capability for multiple Gigabytes of data
· Real-time communication triggers that let others know when their actions or attention is required (i.e. documentation, announcements, sophisticated alerts, surveys, discussion boards).
· Templates for ease of creating:
o Weblogs (blogs)
o Wikis (quickly editable by team members)
· Templates for Discussion Boards / Forums
· Searchable Content within Knowledge Base
· Web enabling of e-mail chains
· User rating of content; ratings should affect searchability of content

I have evaluated MOSS (Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007) as a potential tool for KM and I am impressed by the features available.





No comments:

Post a Comment